Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Silence Speaks


Silence reveals truth to me.  Silence is something I cherish more times than others.  Silence is painful.  Silence is revealing.  Silence is deafening.  Silence draws me into myself.  Silence makes it hard to look in the mirror.  Silence makes me sleepy.  Silence sets me free.  Silence takes me back to childhood memories.  Silence reminds me of regrets.  Silence reminds me of my future successes.  

As a corporate worship leader, the most powerful times I have personally encountered were in times of total and complete silence.  Not because I didn't know what to do, but because I knew exactly what to do.  Do you know the feeling?  To know God's presense is so thick, near and permeating that you respectfully fear so much as blinking or inahling.  I'm the best I know when I am silent.  Interestingly, the church seems to be fearful of such an occurence.  I aspire to lead worship where people understand the power of silence.  

1 Kings 19:11-12 "...Go out and stand on the mountain before the Lord...and after the fire, a still small voice..."

Lord, help me to teach and experience the powerfully uncommon times of your holiness.

What are your thoughts on silence?

No comments: