Saturday, June 16, 2007

Expectation of Illumination


The scriptures. The bible. What's the difference? The former sounds more mysterious, according to Erwin McManus, Pastor at Mosaic church in Los Angeles. "I never call the bible - the bible. I call it the scriptures," he says. I've written about Erwin in past blogs. He definitely ranks among my top choice for preachers of the Word.

I was listening to a Mosaic podcast on the way home from the beach on Saturday. Erwin confessed how, from time to time, he gets bored with the scriptures. Funny thing is, this unspoken boredom is common among believers of all ages, however, it's quite the faux paux to make public mention. After all, it's God's word, and God's not supposed to be boring. Only church is supposed to be boring. He's quick to mention, however, that he doesn't find God boring, he just doesn't always tune in to the right frequency when he's reading the scriptures.
I do that sometimes too.

It reminds me of my first day of class in Old Testament when I was a sophomore in college. The professor told us that since this was a liberal arts college (albeit a Christian liberal arts college - go figure) that we would not study the OT as a spiritual text but, rather, as a work of literature. I wondered how this spiritual text, based in faith, was to make any sense when not studied from a spiritual context. Spiritual things, much of the time, make no physical sense. We were about to crack open this goldmine of text, but our leader was on the wrong frequency - we were doomed to miss the point of it all.

But if you're a follower of Jesus Christ, then the bible should be a powerful text, right? Yeah, I know, I know, because I do it too. It's tough sometimes. It's tough more than sometimes.

I want to challenge you to approach the scriptures offensively, not reactively - with an expectation of illumination and enlightenment. Not that you would merely learn about God and His Kingdom, but that you would have an experience WITH the King that rocks you to the core - forever changed.

And if you're not a follower of Jesus Christ, then the bible is the best place to investigate Jesus' claims. Check Him out.

No comments: