Friday, February 16, 2007

Word-isms




WORD:

1. A word is a unit of language that carries meaning and consists of one or more morphemes which are linked more or less tightly together, and has a phonetical value. Typically a word will consist of a root or stem and zero or more affixes. Words can be combined to create phrases, clauses, and sentences. A word consisting of two or more stems joined together is called a compound.


2. "Yo"


3. "'Sup"


I was reading THIS Wikipedia entry as I studied a few things this morning. My thoughts began to center around words that I love and/or hate (well, hate is a strong word, just ask Tim Hardaway). Rather, words I love and/or strongly dislike. I don't mean their meaning or usage, i simply mean the way these words make me feel when I speak them audibly.


Words I Would Remove From the English Language:


1. Lozenge


Go ahead, say it. You'll hate it too. Did you know that "lozenge" is actually a rhombus shape?


2. Broth


Smells cold and salty. Gross. Least favorite food group: broth-flavored lozenge.

3. Nuptials


Sounds like something that grows on a pier in muggy climates.
"Them nuptials are great bait for catchin' flounder." -old man at the pier

4. Lackadaisical


Artistically speaking, this word has bad flow and general.....badness. I also submit that at least 50% of the time I hear people say "lax-adaisical." This is incorrect gross word pronunciation.


5. Juxtaposition

This word makes me feel as if reading a thesaurus is daily activity. Reminds me of a famous quote: "Never use a short word where a long one will do." Yes, you read it correctly.


Words That Deserve the Equivalent of the Grammy Award:


1. Melancholy


Now that's just ironic.


2. Beaujolais


It's a light, fruity wine, and rolls off the tongue doesn't it? The word, not the wine. Some of you have no freakin' clue how to even pronounce this word. We're all laughing and pointing at you right now. By "we're all" I mean just me. And the guy from the pier. He came over. We're eating nuptials and pointing at you.


3. Cumulonimbus


This word has such sonic authority considering it's merely a cloud. This word could also double as the name of a super-hero i.e., "I am Cumulonimbus! Smiting evil dryness with my sword of humidity!"


4. Desalinization


"De-sal" plants remove salt from seawater to produce drinkable water. It also takes away my salty blues.

5. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious


Even though the sound of it is something quite atrocious. If you say it loud enough you'll always sound precocious. You take it from here...


There you have it. Please, do enlighten us with your favorite/least favorite units of language that carry meaning and consist of one or more morphemes which are linked more or less tightly together and have phonetic value. or words.


". . . I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."

-John Calvin

No comments: